President Goodluck Jonathan has been dragged to a Federal High Court, sitting in Kaduna, over his eligibility to contest the presidential election in 2015.
The suit, filed by a chieftain of the defunct Congress for Progressive Change, Alhaji Shuaibu Lili and a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mr Richard Tersoo Mnenga, sought the court to determine whether President Goodluck Jonathan is constitutionally qualified to contest the 2015 presidential election.
However, the presiding judge, Justice Evelyn Anyadike, could not entertain the case, on Thursday, because the defendants, President Jonathan and the PDP were said not to have be served the notice of hearing. She, however, fixed Monday, November 11, 2013 for mention of the case.
Counsel to the plaintiff, Mr Tony Agaga, had told the court that he was not in the position to know whether the defendants were dully served or not with court notice regarding the case.
He said he was representing the plaintiff in the matter slated for mention on Thursday and did not know whether the defendants had been served, but was guided by the fact that the jurisdiction of the Federal High Court is Nigeria and therefore ought to have been served.
While speaking to journalists, counsel to the plaintiffs said they were in court for the constitutional interpretation of the 1999 Constitution as amended as to whether the president was qualified to contest the 2015 presidential election.