MAIDUGURI — The 7 Division of the Nigerian Army has said, that three out of the six suspects Boko Haram insurgents arrested at the Maiduguri International Airport Monday, while returning from this year’s Hajj exercise in Saudi Arabia had been released.
Spokesman of the Division, Captain Aliyu Danja told newsmen in Maiduguri yesterday that those released had no link with terrorists, contrary to reports by a section of the media.
Danja confirmed that arrests were made at the airport by security operatives where six suspected Boko Haram sect members were handed over to men of the division, but stressed that after thorough interrogation, it was discovered that they were neither terrorists nor members of Boko Haram Islamic sect. He pointed out that three of them had since been freed by the Division and reunited with their families.
He also stated that the three remaining suspects were undergoing further interrogation, adding that they would face the full weight of the law if it was discovered that they had any link with terror activities either directly or indirectly.
A military source who probably participated in the arrest had said that, “we coordinated the interception and arrests of terror suspects at the airport last Monday,” pointing out that ”the arrests were facilitated with the cooperation of airport authorities and National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, NAHCOM, which allowed security personnel to do their job thoroughly at the arrival hall of the airport at dawn.”