There seemed to be no let up in the orgy of violence spreading across the country as 50 people, including four soldiers, were killed by the Boko Haram Islamic sect in another attack on some villages in Adamawa State.
This is even as two female bombers killed themselves in Kano yesterday, with three others in the process.
The Adamawa attack took place at a military base in Garkida, Gombi Local Government Area of the state on Sunday night, according to the Acting Governor, of the state, Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri.
He made the disclosure yesterday while commiserating with the Lamido Adamawa, Alhaji Barkindo Aliyu Mustapha, over the incident. “As government, we really felt bad over the unfortunate incident, which took place in your territory where four Nigeria soldiers and innocent citizens were reported killed by insurgents,” the acting governor said.
Both the Army authorities in Yola and the state police command have confirmed the incident but gave no details on causalities. Our correspondent, however, learnt that there was heavy gunfight in the town when the insurgents invaded.
The four soldiers reportedly died as military personnel engaged the insurgents in a firefight, which lasted several hours as they tried to repel the attacks. An eyewitness, who did not want his name mentioned, said that residents were gripped with fear as there was nowhere to run to.
“They first struck at a military check- point at our border with Borno after a gun battle with soldiers for almost 30 minutes. “The attackers then proceeded to a nearby village called Crossing-Junction during which they also stayed there for almost another half hour before pouncing on Garkida.
“In Garkida, they launched an attack at the military and police bases, and for now, nobody can tell what really happened or the casualty because we were forced to lock up in our houses,” he said.
Also attacked by the terrorists were Kuda -Kaya and Kuduku villages in Madagali Local Government with about six people allegedly killed, while foodstuffs and cattle were carted away.
Fintiri hails from Madagali Local Government Area. Zar community attacked last week by the sect is now reported to have been deserted with more corpses discovered in the bushes.
However, the missing village Head of Zar community, Dauda Daniel, a retired Air Force wing commander, whose disappearance heightened fears that he might have been abducted by the gunmen has resurfaced in Yola.
Close relatives of the retired officer disclosed that he had killed some of the insurgents to escape. In Kano, the Eid-el-fitri celebration was marred by the twin-suicide bombings.
The first incident occurred about 10.30am at an NNPC Mega Filling Station in Hotoro on Maiduguri Road in Nasarawa Local Government Area. The female bomber was said to have disguised as a kerosene buyer and joined other buyers who were on the queue.
After joining the queue, she detonated the explosive, killing herself and three others, while seven other persons who sustained injuries were receiving medical attention at the Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, AKTH.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Kano Police Command, Magaji Majiya, said the command had commenced investigation to unravel the motive behind the attack.
He added that security had been beefed up in the ancient city. Majiya said the second explosion occurred about 2pm at the Trade Fair Complex on Zoo Road. He said that the 19-yearold female suicide bomber died in an explosion triggered by her when she was denied access to the fair ground.
The PPRO explained that when the lady insisted on entering the trade fair complex, the security agents also insisted on searching her after which she detonated the bomb. He confirmed that six persons injured in the explosion were receiving medical attention and urged residents to be vigilant and report suspicious movement to the police.
Kano has come under increased terror attacks in the last one week. Two explosions occurred on Sunday in Kano and claimed the lives of six persons and injured eight others. Following the incidents, major streets of Kano have been deserted. Also confirming the incident in Abuja, Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, said the situation was saved by the quick response of the police.
“It is instructive to note that the mega station did not go ablaze due to the security barricade put in place by the policemen on duty at the station. “Such a situation would have clearly complicated the emergency response,” he stated.
Mba added that security forces had cordoned off the scene while operatives are carrying out both overt and covert operations with special teams carrying out sweeping raids in suspected terrorist hideouts. In Kaduna, residents were thrown into confusion over waste polythene bags in a sack suspected to be a bomb device dumped at Ahmadu Bello Way.
National Mirror gathered that shop owners and passersby around the scene hurriedly fled for safety after calling the police anti-bomb squad. The incident created panic as motorists caused traffic jam in the metropolis.
Security personnel condoned off the area, while people were asked to stay away. Another trader, who did not want his name mentioned, said after the police carried out the necessary checks, the sack was discovered to contain waste polythene bags wrapped in the sack.
Kaduna State Police Command spokesman, Aminu Lawan, confirmed the incident while commending the people of the area for their security consciousness. “Yes, there was such scare and panic but there was nothing as speculated.
Our men upon receiving the call were deployed to the area, it was immediately condoned off while our antibomb squad carried out the required checks, and it was discovered that the sack contained waste polythene bags, no improvised explosive device, IED, was found in it.
Meanwhile, the use of cars has been banned in Borno State during the Eidel- fitri celebration. Governor Kashim Shettima said the decision was taken “in order to safeguard the lives of the innocent citizens.” He expressed concern seeing people walking for miles in Maiduguri, the state capital, “under the scorching sun in an attempt to observe a very important spiritual rite which is the Eid prayers”.
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday condemned the terrorist attacks in Kano and Adamawa states and the kidnap of the Lamido of Kolofata in Northern Cameroon, Lamido Seini Lamine, and the wife of the Deputy Prime Minister of the country.
In a statement by the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, the President described as shocking, callous and reprehensible the multiple bomb blasts that occurred in Kano within 24 hours, and the unrelenting attacks by the Boko Haram sect at a time Muslim faithful were observing the Eid-el-fitri.
Jonathan noted that the deployment of young women as suicide bombers represented a new low in the inhuman campaign by these terrorists and an expression of utter disregard for the dignity of the female gender as well as a wicked exploitation of the girl-child.
The President stated that the abduction of the Lamido of Kolofata and the wife of the Deputy Prime Minister of Cameroon clearly underscored the regional security threat that Boko Haram had become.
He welcomed the recent resolve by the defence ministers of Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, Benin and Niger Republic to further strengthen existing partnerships to forestall the desperate attempt by misguided elements to turn the subregion into a battleground for terrorism and radical extremism. Jonathan urged the security forces not to be discouraged by the desperation of the agents of evil.
The President stressed that with the continued cooperation between Nigeria’s security forces and their counterparts in neighbouring countries, the war against terror would surely be won. He commiserated with the families of those who lost their loved ones in the Kano and Adamawa attacks and wished the injured speedy recovery.