THE military operation to track insurgents who carried out the last Friday pre-dawn attacks on Mohammed Kur Barracks, Bama, has led to the killing of 50 insurgents and destruction of over 20 vehicles conveying escaping terrorists.The vehicles were the ones used during the attack on the barracks and were sited through air surveillance, as the terrorists were making efforts to cross the borders back to their haven in Cameroun.Director, Defence Information, Major-General Chris Olukolade, also said that “although a good number of the insurgents escaped with bullet wounds while some have been arrested, over 50 of them died in the course of exchange of fire with ground troops in the ongoing operations to apprehend fleeing terrorists.“The military has lost 15 soldiers, mostly from the attacks, while some died during the pursuit. A total of five civilians also died during the attack.”He disclosed that intensive cordon-and-search operation was still ongoing to fish out the insurgents who might be lurking around communities in the area.Families affected by the attacks have been relocated to other military locations, Olukolade stated.Meanwhile, Borno State governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, met with President Goodluck Jonathan at the State House on Tuesday to brief him on the recent activities of the Boko Haram sect in his state, assuring that the terrorists had not overwhelmed security personnel.He told State House correspondents after the meeting that two or three of the female hostages seized by the insurgents in their last week attack on the 202 Army Battalion Barracks in Bama had escaped from their captors while he denied that children were still being held.Shettima also denied the allegation that the Bama Barracks had been deserted following the attack, saying, “it is not true. I am the man on ground and I can tell you authoritatively what is happening.“Women and children normally, during crisis, are moved to safer locations but the soldiers are on ground.They are right now in Bama and are doing their job very well.”Speaking on the apparent resurgence of the attacks, the governor said that the Federal Government was doing its best to put an end to terrorism.“I am just here to brief Mr President of what transpired in Bama. I believe that very soon, this issue will be frontally addressed and it will be a thing of the past,” he added.It will be recalled that a large group of suspected Boko Haram terrorists attacked the barracks last Thursday, killing troops and members of their
families while taking away some people as hostages.The attack led to an impromptu meeting on Friday between President Jonathan and the service chiefs before he was due to decorate newly promoted two-star military generals at the Command Officers’ Mess, Asokoro, Abuja.The military also reported another clash with the insurgents in Bama on Monday, when it said about 15 soldiers and 50 terrorists were killed.