The stupidity of IGBO COMMUNITY COLLEGE, LOKOJA – KOGI STATE
There are many cogent and practical reasons for the opposition to “foreign” enterprises by the Igbo. Here are the more potent reasons:
Picture of desolate Igboland left without opportunites as Igbo people concentrate on developing other parts of Nigeria
1. There are no reciprocal none Igbo Nigerians building industries or colleges in Igbo land. Dangote for example, who builds industries in other African countries, is reluctant to build in Alaigbo in any commensurate way, even though he earns substantial return from the Igbo.
2. The Igbo past experiences do not support a repeat performance. Old Igbo Union schools in the north or in other parts of Nigeria were not recovered by the Igbo after the war. The experience of “Abandoned Properties” all over Nigeria would make it difficult to encourage repeating a foolishness we already know. Even Port Harcourt and other Rivers State cities just next door should preclude even thinking such thoughts.
3. Nigeria is tottering as we speak and this makes it unwise to invest ‘abroad’ now. These investments were not recovered in the past and would not be recovered in the future. When the future of one Nigeria is settled may be we can again think the idea over.
4. The current unwillingness of state governments to appoint Igbo to positions that reflect their population is evidence of continued discrimination against the Igbo. They sight Lagos, Kano, Jos, and PH as prime examples.
5. There are no meaningful employment opportunities in Igboland. None existent infrastructure, no electricity, no roads, no decent classroom for children to learn, lack of food, lack of clothing…the list is endless.
History has a habit of repeating itself. It therefore holds that all Igbo businessmen and women developing other areas in Nigeria will live to regret it.