Former Commonwealth Secretary-General, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, yesterday called for the return to true federalism to achieve development. Anyanko spoke at a lecture organised by the Torchbearer Society at the Archbishop Vining Memorial Church Cathedral, Ikeja, stressed the need to return the country to regional government. The topic of the lecture was: God In My Life. He said: “Our leaders have largely been responsible for the problems facing the country, by not embracing the call to foster true federalism, which should become a federation of six units, with each unit developing at its pace.”
Some shocking discoveries have been made in Maiduguri, the beleaguered Borno State capital that is the engine -room of the Boko Haram insurgency. The Joint Task Force (JTF), Operation Restore Order II, found mass graves, tunnels and bunkers in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital. JTF spokesman Lt.-Col. Sagir Musa showed reporters shallow graves, tunnels and bunkers at Bulabulin Nganaram yesterday. He said Boko Haram men who died in gun battles with security troops were buried in the graves.
One person was allegedly killed while several others were injured when some people suspected to be members of the Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) clashed with the Association of Igbo Youths Organization (AIYO) in the commercial city of Onitsha in Anambra State. It was gathered that MASSOB members in search of the hideouts of the AIYO invaded their alleged torture camp inside a thick forest along the Onitsha-Owerri Expressway in a bid to dislodge them and restore normalcy in the commercial city.
The Presidential Committee on the Dialogue and Peaceful Resolution of Conflicts in Northern Nigeria, came under severe criticisms, yesterday, from across the country following denial by Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau that the sect had entered into a cease-fire agreement with the Federal Government. The Committee came under attack on a day the Joint Task Force (JTF) Operation Restore Order II in Borno State, said that it has succeeded in killing a top commander of Boko Haram sect, Bulabulin Nganaram, who was on the wanted list of the JTF with a N10m bounty. The sect commander who was killed in a shootout with the taskforce was said to be responsible for the killing of a teacher and three students of Sanda Karami Secondary School, Ruwan Zafi Maiduguri.Chairman of the Committee and Minister of Special Duties,
President Goodluck Jonathan may dump Vice President Namadi Sambo for the former Zamfara State governor, Senator Sani Ahmed Yerima, as his running mate for the 2015 presidential election, it was learnt at the weekend. The President, who met with some Muslim scholars and leaders on his anticipated second term bid, was said to have been impressed by the senator’s role in facilitating the meeting between him and the Muslim leaders, who promised to mobilise support for him. Interestingly, this is coming at a time when the Professor Ango Abdulahi’s Northern Elders Forum, NEF, has made it known that the North would not support President Jonathan’s second term bid.
ENUGU-A chieftain of Action Congress of Nigeria ACN and yet to be registered All Progressive Congress APC, in Enugu state, Dr. Ben Nwoye, Sunday, faulted the blanket endorsement of President Goodluck Jonathan for the second tern describing the act as shameful and unfortunate.
MAJOR Wisdom Osagiede Ogbewekon-Osemwende is a Nigerian serving in the United States Army; he served in Iraq during the American/Iraqi war.
Plans by President Goodluck Jonathan to secure a second term mandate in 2015 will in the next few weeks begin to take concrete shape. So far, the ambition has been in the realm of speculations, with various groups and individuals engaged in a gritty battle, for and against the speculation. But in a strategic bid to step ahead of the opposition, nascent groups and individuals charged with the second term ambition task will for the first time hold a formal meeting in the third or last week of the last quarter of the year (September), to among other issues,
Fresh from his alleged abduction and severe torture, a chieftain of the Movement for the Actualisation of Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB), Chief Arinze Igbani, has accused members of the Association of Igbo Youths Organisation (AIYO) of abducting him and shaving his beards for ritual purposes. Igbani, who is MASSOB’s Regional Administrator for Onitsha Region 4, narrated his ordeal: “1 was on top of a commercial motorcycle, penultimate Saturday along the city biscuit Road,
The ceasefire agreement purportedly signed recently by the Federal Government and the Islamist sect, Boko Haram, is already in jeopardy. The leader of the group, Abubakar Shekau, yesterday disclaimed the ceasefire and threatened more attacks on schools within its sphere of influence. The Minister of Special Duties, Alhaji Tanimu Turaki, had on Tuesday announced the signing of an agreement between government and Boko Haram as a prelude to ending years of killings and destruction of property by the group.