kano-blast

Campaign for Democracy seeks compensation for Igbo killed by Boko Haram

The Campaign for Democracy has asked the Federal Government to compensate families of the 1,836 Igbo people killed by the Boko Haram insurgents in the North since 2011. This was contained in a statement by the organisation in Onitsha, Anambra State, on Sunday. The statement was signed by the Chairman, CD South-East Region, Mr. Uzor A. Uzor. “For over three years now, over 1,836 Igbo men, women and children had been killed either through terrorist attacks, direct gunning down or slaughtered in a gruesome manner. “Most of them were killed in the motor parks, churches, schools and even in their private homes,’’ the statement said.

US-state-department

U. S. warns citizens against travel to Northern Nigeria

Worried about likely violent protests ahead of the 12th anniversary of the September 11, 2011 attacks on the twin towers and the World Trade Centre in New York, the United States has issued travel alerts to it citizens. “Because of safety and security concerns, the U.S. mission in Nigeria is enforcing a restricted travel policy for U.S. Embassy personnel to the states of Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Niger, Plateau, Sokoto, Yobe, and Zamfara,” the US Embassy in Nigeria posted on its website yesterday. “U.S. citizens should be mindful of this and consider taking similar steps when planning travel,” added the online statement.

Sultan-of-Sokoto-02

The owner of Zoological republic of Nigeria Sultan Dasuki said the country is sliding into lawlessness

Nigeria “seems to be gradually sliding into lawlessness” and “there is the urgent need for proactive and effective ways to addressing these precarious security upheavals as been witnessed in the country.” This is the position of the Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI) after taking stock of the latest round of killings in parts of the country’s North. JNI described the attack on innocent persons at Bama, Borno State, and the today’s killing of Dr. Musa Muhammad Dambam, the Medical Director, Federal Medical (FMC), Azare and the District Head of Yama in Bauchi State, as ungodly, heinous and utterly reprehensible.

FESTUS-ODIMEGWU

CAN call on President Jonathan not to sack Chief Odimegwu

The Christian Association of Nigeria, Sunday, warned President Goodluck Jonathan against being used by Northerners to sacrifice chairman of National Population Commission, Chief Festus Odimegwu, ahead of 2015 election, following the revelation of the true nature of 2006 census by the latter. Odimegwu had described the 2006 census results as incredible, and his declaration earned him a query from the Office of the Government of the Federation. CAN called on the Federal Government to withdraw the query and tender an apology to Odimegwu in the interest of fairness, insisting that 2006 census results were cooked to favour the north . The association also decried the politicization of Odimegwu’s comment, saying they were ploys by the North to blackmail President Goodluck Jonathan ahead of the 2015 general elections.

APC

APC attended the World Igbo Congress in Dallas US urges Ndi’gbo to support APC party

The All Progressives Congress attended the World Igbo Congress in Dallas, United States of America, to solicit the support of Igbo people for the new party. In a presentation at the congress on Friday, South-East Zonal Publicity Secretary of the APC, Osita Okechukwu, said with all the support Ndi’gbo gave to the People’s Democratic Party, they had no stake in the ruling party. Speaking to our correspondent from Dallas, Okechukwu lamented that the PDP could not consider it fit to zone any of the offices in the official protocol list at the federal level to Ndi’gbo.

Ango-Abdullahi

Prof. Abdullahi why Nigerians should not trust President Jonathan

Former Presidential Adviser on Food Security, Prof. Ango Abdullahi, says there are abundant reasons why Nigerians should not entrust President Goodluck Jonathan with the leadership of the country beyond May, 2015. The reasons, according to the Secretary of the Northern Elders Forum, revolve around what he called the president’s betrayal of the process that brought him into office. Speaking on Liberty Radio, Kaduna, yesterday, Prof Abdullahi said President Jonathan got the support of the north to contest for one term in 2011 but is now bent on usurping the lot of the north again in 2015.

Senator-Muhammed-Ndume

Senator Ndume we took Boko haram terrorist leader Abubakar Shekau for granted

Senator Muhammed Ndume – Borno South – was the Minority Leader in the House of Reps as an ANPP lawmaker before he moved to the PDP and then became a senator. His political career took a twist when he was accused of sponsoring the Boko Haram Islamist group. In this interview, he hails the onslaught against Boko Haram by the military forces but says the insurgency by the sect festered after government took it for granted that Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau died during a raid on his hideout in 2012. Ndume warns that same mistake should not be made in the wake of the current claim that the sect leader has been killed. The senator also speaks on some other national issues.

Olusegun-Obasanjo

OBJ declares war over Uba’s suspension in PDP Anambra State

President Olusegun Obasanjo is said to have returned to the trenches within the fold of the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) following the outcome of the governorship primaries of the party in Anambra State. Obasanjo had recently attempted to broker a truce between the PDP and the aggrieved governors of the party under the aegis of G5 in Abuja. Though the meeting lasted for a week, nothing concrete came out of it at the end of the day. Sources however told Sunday Tribune that Obasanjo was motivated into taking up the peacemaker role because of his belief that his candidate would be allowed to emerge as gubernatorial candidate in Anambra.

Boko-Haram-kill-56

Boko Haram terrorist kills 56 in Borno State

At least 57 persons, including 24 members of indigenous youth vigilance group, ‘Civilian JTF’; 16 Shuwa Arab herdsmen and 17 civilians were yesterday killed by suspected Boko Haram terrorists in three different local government areas of Monguno, Damboa and Nganzai in Borno State. The incident occurred barely one week after the withdrawal of Joint Task Force (JTF) ‘Operation Restore Order’ which was replaced by a military division. It was also observed that Governor Kashim Shettima yesterday afternoon had a marathon meeting with security chiefs and traditional rulers including the Shehu of Borno, Alhaji Abubakar Ibn Garbai el-Kanemi.