Unknown gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram militants struck in Kaduna metropolis tonight along Western By-Pass Express Way killing a policeman, after they laid an ambush on scores of police officers as they made their way to duty posts in the city. A police source said the sect members came on motorbikes and lay siege on the policeman plying the route after River Kaduna Bridge. The source said the incident happened at Ungwan Muazu, the same area rocked by two bomb explosions last year. “The policemen were passing on their way to commercial banks along the express, when the men appeared on bike shot him several times. They instantly killed and took his gun away. I saw his body, it was mutilated and ridden with bullets.” stated our police source
Following terrorist attacks in parts of the North-east, especially the ones at the College of Agriculture, Gujba and Benisheikh that left scores dead, and questions about the determination of the 7th Division of the Nigerian Army to checkmate them, the Chief of the Army Staff, Lt. General Azubuike Ihejirika, at the weekend, summoned all the General Officers Commanding the Divisions of the Nigerian Army and Corps Commanders to an emergency meeting described by sources as no holds barred. Also summoned for the meeting where the Army Chief was said to have warned of dire consequences henceforth if officers were found wanting or negligent in the performance of their duties thereby exposing soldiers and equipment to terrorists were Brigade Commanders and Formation Commanders across the country.
Clashes between the military forces and some Boko Haram militants in Borno State at the weekend left no fewer than 20 persons dead. Gunmen suspected of Boko Haram sect members yesterday attacked Damboa Local Government area of Borno State with Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and petrol-bombs, killing five residents at a mosque with the torching of the district head’s palace and shops at 4.30am yesterday. Damboa is 87 kilometres south of Maiduguri, the Borno State capital where suspected insurgents two weeks ago slaughtered and also shot dead over 48 motorists, passengers and other civilians, including 18 members of the vigilance group at the market square and along the busy Maiduguri -Biu federal highway which was closed down in the heat of the emergency rule, only to be reopened again last month.
The governor of Kano state, Musa Kwankwaso, has kicked against the proposed national conference and noted that the conference will only amount to a waste of time and resources, even as many Nigerians applauded the national conference initiative as announced by the president. During a media chat in Hausa, broadcast live on some radio stations in Kano, northwest Nigeria, governor Kwankwaso also explained that the conference is not only unconstitutional but would create disunity among Nigerians. He pointed out that members of the two chambers have the constitutional mandate to deliberate on national issues and take action
With the commencement of international flight to Enugu through the Akanu Ibiam International Airport and mobilization for work on the second Niger Bridge, many in the South-East believe that President Goodluck Jonathan has taken a bold step in ending the marginalization of the Igbo nation. But the founder and National Chairman of the United Progressives Party (UPP), Chief Chekwas Okorie told Saturday Sun that though what Jonathan had done was commendable, there are still many other bitter issues needed to be addressed to make the country practise true federalism.
Yobe State governor, Ibrahim Gaidam, yesterday requested donor agencies that relocated out of Damaturu, the state capital, to return and continue with their work with the return of peace in the state. Gov. Gaidam made the plea on the occasion of the donation of medical equipment worth over N288 million to the state government by the Partnership for Reviving Routine Immunization in Northern Nigeria and Maternal Newborn and Child Health (PRRINN-MNCH) in Damaturu. The governor, who appreciated the efforts of the PRRINN-MNCH in improving maternal child health in the state, called on international and donor agencies, especially the DFID, to return back to the state and ensure the full take off of the the Support to National Malaria Programme (SUNMAP).
The United States of America has described corruption as Nigeria’s greatest stumbling block, lamenting that the malaise is deeply
The Christian Association of Nigeria has condemned recent resurgence of killings by the Boko Haram sect, asking the governors of states in the North to shift their focus from the 2015 presidency to halting the activities of the sect. The General Secretary of CAN, Dr. Musa Asake, who said this in a telephone interview with SUNDAY PUNCH, added that it was unfortunate that northern governors were spending much energy on stopping President Goodluck Jonathan from running for a second term, while thousands were dying in their states due to Boko Haram attacks. He said, “For us in CAN, we don’t understand why the attacks started again. We were still celebrating and thanking God that things are calming down, only for this kind of mad killings to occur.
The militant Islamic sect, Boko Haram, has forced more than 1,000 teachers to flee from various areas in the northern part of Nigeria. The group has also burnt 50 schools and forced 60 others to close in the northern part of the country. An international human rights organisation, Amnesty International, which stated these on Friday in a report titled, ‘Keep away from schools,’ said that at least 70 teachers and 100 schoolchildren had been killed. It said, “Education is under attack in northern Nigeria. Since the beginning of 2012, according to Amnesty International’s research, at least 70 teachers and over 100 schoolchildren and students have been killed or wounded.
Northern interest groups have reacted angrily to suggestions by Chief Ebenezer Babatope that northern politicians should wait until 2019 to vie for the Presidency. Babatope had, while speaking at a public function in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State last week, asked the northerners to wait till 2019 to take a shot at the Presidency. He said, “If Jonathan declares to contest the 2015 election, I will be among the people that will campaign for him. I submit it is right and proper that the Ijaw man, President Goodluck Jonathan, completes his term in 2019. “After that, if I am still alive, I will be one of those that will fight to ensure the North have its turn in 2019,” Babatope said.