Niger State Governor, Dr. Muazu Babangida Aliyu, has insisted that the state will not back out of the zoning formula adopted by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in 1999 to rotate the governorship seat between the three senatorial zones of the state. He said this to uphold the principles of equity, justice and fair play. The governor argued that the arrangement has worked so well and of immense benefit to the state, hence it would be maintained, even if the formula has been discarded at the federal level and in some states in the country. Governor Aliyu was reacting to the recent indication of intent by an aspirant from Zone ‘A’, who insisted he will contest the governorship seat, despite the fact that the state party leadership had zone it to Zone ‘C.’ It will be recalled Zone ‘A’ had already held the position between 1999 and 2007; Zone ‘B’ that produced the incumbent governor, Dr. Muazu Babangida Aliyu, from 2007 to 2015, while Zone ‘C’ is expected to have its share in 2015.
UYO — Residents of Eniong, Anua, Mbiabong Housing Estate in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, have sent a Save Our Soul letter to the state governor,
Police IG in Trouble: N10billion Forced Extortion of Junior Officers, Illegal Transfers of Igbo Officers to North
Information available to 247ureports.com obtained through competent sources within the police force headquarters in Abuja indicate that all may not be well with the Inspector General of Police [IGP], M. D. Abubakar. This is as some of the aggrieved police officers sought out our correspondent to share the rot ongoing within the Nigeria Police Force [NPF] Headquarters in Abuja and within the police units across the country. The police force has begun forced extortion of its junior officers of monies in excess of N15billion. As gathered, eighty  police officers of South East extraction stationed in Imo State under the command of Commissioner of Police, Katsina were unceremoniously transferred out to the northern region of the country [Kaduna, Kano, Gombe, Kebbi, etc]. The rank of the transferred officers were said to range from DSP to CSP. The transfers which were announced in an abrupt manner by the Police Commissioner of Imo State struck the other police officers stationed in State with fear and confusion.
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday justified the need for a national conference, insisting that Nigerians must discuss on the best direction to take as a nation in the face of current challenges. The President also told his critics that he needed not “carry cane to flog Nigerians to show that we are determined” on the confab. He stated that his government came up with the initiative of a national dialogue to ensure that discussion about the future of the country must have a direction. President Jonathan said this in Abuja when Vice- President Namadi Sambo led Muslim faithful in the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, to his residence on Sallah homage.
THE 76 destitute persons, who were deported by the Lagos State Government and dumped on the Upper Iweka Bridge, Onitsha, Anambra State on July 24, 2013, have dragged the Lagos State Government to a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos. The suit was filed by seven of the deportees: Nnenna Ogbonna, Joseph Aniebonam, Osondu Mbuto, Osondu Agwu, Emily Okoroariri, Friday Ndukwe and Onyeka Ugwu as the applicants, on behalf of the 76 others, while the Attorney-General of Lagos State and the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State are the respondents. In the motion filed by their lawyer, Ugo Ugwunnadi, the applicants asked the court to declare that they, as Nigerian citizens were entitled to the enjoyment of their fundamental rights as provided for in Sections 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 41 and 42 of the 1999 constitution, as amended. The applicants are also seeking a perpetual injunction restraining the respondents, their agents, workers and officers from their further deportation or refusing them free entry into Lagos and free exit there from, as well as an order mandating the respondents to tender a written apology to them by publishing the apology
Hundreds of Nigerian criminals will be sent home to serve out prison sentences under a deal set to be struck by ministers within weeks. Talks are continuing into reaching a compulsory prisoner transfer agreement, which could see more than half of the 534 criminals from Nigeria currently in UK jails repatriated. UK Prisons Minister, Jeremy Wright, told MailOnline how ‘more foreign prisoners must serve their sentences in their own countries.’ Ministers have been ordered to step up efforts to end the scandal of more than one in eight prisoners being from overseas. British Prime Minister, David Cameron vowed to end the practice of the British taxpayer picking up the bill for criminals with no business in the UK. The Prime Minister said in 2010 that he would ‘personally intervene’ to send more foreign criminals home. Britain has even made clear it would pay to build new prisons in countries like Nigeria to speed up the process of sending foreign criminals home. Up to £1m has been promised to upgrade Nigerian jails, including a new wing at Kirikiri Prison in Lagos.
The Nigerian Army yesterday confirmed the killing of 40 Boko Haram insurgents in fresh counter-insurgency operations to forestall planned attacks by the armed sect in Borno State. Acting Deputy Director of Army Public Relations (DDAPR) of 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, Captain Aliyu Ibrahim Danja in a statement in Maiduguri said troops from the division foiled attempts by the insurgents to attack Bama, Gwoza and Pulka towns. “Troops of Army Division 7 of the Nigerian Army have foiled yet another attack by Boko Haram terrorists aimed at inflicting havoc on Borno State prior to Sallah festivities,” he stated.
Following the alleged shoot-out yesterday between joint team of Army, Police and suspected kidnappers at 3-3 in the commercial city of Onitsha, the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) has faulted the claims by the security agencies that the suspects were kidnappers. It alleged that its member was killed and later dubbed a kidnap suspect by security agents. The group’s regional administrator, Awka North, Chief Tony Nwodo, faulted the claims that there was a shoot-out between the joint team of army and police personnel and suspected kidnappers. He said the security agents stormed MASSOB meeting venue, opened fire on their members and killed one while others sustained various degrees of gunshot injuries. Nwodo disclosed that there was no case of kidnapping in the area as MASSOB members had on Friday arrested one Sunday, (sure name withheld) a native of Nkwelle, who was impersonating MASSOB members to commit crime including robbery and handed him over to the Divisional Police Officer in charge of 3-3, Mr. Ekene.
Barely 48 hours after operatives of the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) killed six suspected kidnappers in Ihiala Council Area of Anambra State, a business magnate and transporter, Chief Godwin Okeke (GUO motors) escaped death by the whiskers yesterday when gunmen suspected to be hired assassins attacked his car. The attack occurred barely one month after the owner of the Young Shall Grow Motors, Chief Vincent Obianodo escaped suspected assasins’s bullets in Festac Area of Lagos. Okeke escaped death miraculously within his residence at Government Reserved Area (GRA), Onitsha, while he was returning from work at about 6.45 pm when the gunmen trailed his car to the gate of his home. Though the business magnate was not hurt, it was gathered that after he came in, one of the drivers in his convoy went out with a black Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) with Reg. No ME70AAA, and the assailants trailed him and opened fire on the car. Speaking to Daily Sun, Okeke said he had come back about 10 minutes earlier and sent his driver on an errand with the car and on his way back, gunmen operating in a Toyota Siena car trailed him to his gate and opened fire on the vehicle.
ELDER STATESMAN and stalwart of the pan-Yoruba socio-political group, Afenifere, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, has urged the Igbo and Yoruba ethnic