Performance: Presidency blasts Fashola for attacking Jonathan

  By Henry UmoruABUJA—THE Presidency yesterday carpeted Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State for accusing President Goodluck Jonathan’s government of being inactive for three years, saying the governor might have been occupied in his state to know the achievements of the administration.At a briefing in Abuja, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs,…

Confab changes title of controversial draft constitution

  The National Conference leadership on Thursday adopted the change of its document titled “Draft Constitution 2014” to “Proposed Amendments to 1999 Constitution” following controversies it generated among Nigerians and delegates.This change was effected following a joint motion by Chief Jerome Okwuonu, representing South East and Dr Peter Odili, former Governor of Rivers.Before the new…

National Conference Delegates adopt final report

IN spite of odds, delegates, yesterday, adopted the final report of the 2014 National Conference amid exchange of banters and pleasantries, thereby ending the five-month exercise on a positive note.They will now reconvene on August 21 for the closing formalities.The conviviality, camaraderie and hugs, which characterised the last plenary of the confab were unexpected giving the controversies that trailed the draft report and “draft constitution” produced by the national conference secretariat.On Wednesday, a section of the Northern delegates distanced itself from the draft constitution and vowed not to pass it but Southern and Middle-Belt delegates differed and said they would adopt the report and draft amendments to the 1999 Constitution.

The Islamic terrorists Boko Haram abducts 100 young men in Borno

There were indications on Thursday that members of the terrorist Islamic sect, Boko Haram, might have abducted about 100 young men from Doron Baga, a community in Borno State.There were fears also that the abducted young men were being forcefully conscripted by the insurgents.Our correspondent learnt that the victims were seized from Doron Baga during an attack, on Sunday, on the village, where at least 10 persons were allegedly killed.

No Ebola Virus Disease yet in Enugu —Health Minister •Enugu residents under surveillance down from 21 to 6 •Another infected nurse dies

Here is some good news: The number of Ebola cases in the country has been revised downwards while the number of suspected cases in Enugu has been drastically reduced. Besides, the Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu has clarified that “there is no Ebola Virus Disease in Enugu. All cases are still confined to Lagos State.”These were the highlights of a statement issued this evening by the minister in a statement signed by his Special Assistant on Media and Communication, Mr. Dan Nwomeh. Enugu had been thrown into panic yesterday after Information Minister Labaran Maku announced that there were 21 suspected Ebola patients in the state. Prof. Chukwu’s statement reads as follows:

400,000 persons displaced by Boko Haram, says NEMA

 by Kayode Idowu The National Emergency Management Agency on Wednesday said that 400,000 persons had been internally displaced in the troubled North-eastern region of the country from January 2014 till date. Speaking to journalists in Maiduguri, Borno State capital, the information officer of the Northeast zonal office of the agency, AbdulKadir Ibrahim, said the number…

Thousands fleeing Boko Haram for safe haven

by: Our Reporter Thousands of Nigerians fleeing Islamist militants are searching for sanctuary, say government and international relief officials. No thanks to the latest Boko Haram’s campaign to seize the Northeast. Gwoza, a town of about 50,000 near Nigeria’s remote border with Cameroon, is worse hit, reports Wall Street Journal Hundreds of thousands of Nigerians…