Tanzina Vega Is New Host of WNYC’s ‘The Takeaway’

Supported by Business Day Tanzina Vega Is New Host of WNYC’s ‘The Takeaway’ Photo Tanzina Vega will start as the new host of the public radio program “The Takeaway” on May 7. Credit Janette Pellegrini/Getty Images Tanzina Vega has been named the new host of the public radio program “The Takeaway,” succeeding John Hockenberry, who retired in August and was subsequently accused of engaging in sexual harassment and bullying behavior during his decade with the show.
Ms. Vega, who will begin working on the nationally syndicated news program on May 7, was most recently at CNN, where she reported on race, inequality and the criminal justice system. She was previously a reporter for The New York Times.
“Since its inception, ‘The Takeaway’ has sought out voices from across the country to provide context for and perspective on the day’s news,” Alisa Miller, president and chief executive of Public Radio International, which produces the show with WNYC Radio, said in a statement. “Tanzina’s d..

Responding to Trump, China Plans New Tariffs on U.S. Goods

Responding to Trump, China Plans New Tariffs on U.S. Goods Photo Chinese border police officers watching the arrival of a container ship at a port in Qingdao in Shandong Province. On Friday, China said it planned to impose tariffs on a wide range of American products. Credit Chinatopix, via Associated Press BEIJING — China announced Friday that it planned to impose tariffs on $3 billion worth of American-produced fruit, pork, wine, seamless steel pipes and more than 100 other goods, hitting back at the United States hours after President Trump proposed tariffs on about $60 billion worth of Chinese-made products.
The Chinese Ministry of Commerce issued the threat in an online statement that said its proposed measures retaliated against the Trump administration’s earlier decision to impose tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum. The timing, though, also appeared to be a warning shot against Mr. Trump’s latest action on the trade front, on Thursday, when he took specific aim at a much wide..

H&M, a Fashion Giant, Has a Problem: $4.3 Billion in Unsold Clothes

Supported by Business Day H&M, a Fashion Giant, Has a Problem: $4.3 Billion in Unsold Clothes Photo The fashion retailer H&M reported poor earnings on Tuesday, and is sitting on a huge pile of unsold clothes. Credit Horacio Villalobos/Corbis, via Getty Images In the world of fashion retailing, where shopping is fast moving online and stores try to keep inventories closely matched to sales, even a small stack of unsold clothes can be a bad sign.
What about a $4.3 billion pile of shirts, dresses and accessories? That is the problem facing H&M, the Swedish fashion retailer, which is struggling with a mounting stack of unsold inventory.
H&M outlined the buildup in its latest quarterly report on Tuesday, prompting questions of whether the company is able to adapt to the fierce competition and changing consumer demands reshaping the global apparel market.
Signs of its expanding unsold inventory began emerging last year, when it reported an unexpected quarterly drop in sales. The decline..

Nickelodeon Parts Ways With Its Biggest Hitmaker

Supported by Media Nickelodeon Parts Ways With Its Biggest Hitmaker Photo Dan Schneider, center, a former child actor, produced hit shows including “iCarly,” “Kenan & Kel” and “Henry Danger” for Nickelodeon. Credit Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic Dan Schneider, the prolific producer who has been Nickelodeon’s most reliable hitmaker for the last two decades, is parting ways with the cable channel.
Mr. Schneider, a former child actor who appeared in the TV series “Head of the Class” and the comedy film “Better Off Dead,” produced hit shows like “iCarly,” “Drake & Josh,” and “Kenan & Kel” for Nickelodeon.
Once described as the “Norman Lear of children’s television” by The New York Times, Mr. Schneider and his production company Schneider’s Bakery are also responsible for the network’s current biggest hit, “Henry Danger.” However, one of Mr. Schneider’s shows, “Game Shakers,” was recently canceled.
“Following many conversations together about next directions and future opportunities, Nickelode..

Trump Administration Retreats on Tip-Sharing Plan in Compromise

Trump Administration Retreats on Tip-Sharing Plan in Compromise Photo Under a compromise plan, employers would be able to redistribute workers’ tips only under limited circumstances, and would not be able to keep a share for themselves. Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times The Trump administration has backed away from a proposed regulation that would have allowed restaurant owners and managers to pocket the tips of their workers.
The change was negotiated by Senator Patty Murray, Democrat of Washington, and Labor Secretary R. Alexander Acosta after the proposal encountered months of opposition. Labor advocacy groups argued that the regulation would transfer billions of dollars from workers to employers.
The restaurant industry had backed the proposal, saying it would allow the tips given to waiters and waitresses to be shared with so-called back-of-house workers, like cooks and dishwashers.
Under the compromise, inserted into the congressional spending bill that won final approval ea..

Trump’s Tariffs Trigger Global Chain Reaction to Halt Imports

Supported by

Business Day

Trump’s Tariffs Trigger Global Chain Reaction to Halt Imports

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration’s steel and aluminum tariffs are provoking a chain reaction around the globe, as governments from Europe to Canada prepare to erect barriers to prevent cheap metal once bound for the United States from entering their markets.
On Tuesday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada announced a series of regulatory changes that would make it easier for border officials to block steel and aluminum imports into that nation. The European Union has begun a “safeguard investigation” that could result in tariffs or other trade actions if it determines that steel intended for the American market is being diverted to the bloc.
“These past few days, we’ve looked at strengthening the measures that we already have in place because it’s important that we not be taking in dumped steel from around the world,” Mr. Trudeau told reporters in Ottawa.
Foreign policymakers have ..

Technology Companies Drag Stock Markets Down Again

Supported by

Business Day

Technology Companies Drag Stock Markets Down Again

Technology stocks helped propel the nine-year bull market. Optimistic investors piled into the shares, hoping to grab a piece of the profits from industries such as social media, autonomous driving, video streaming and artificial intelligence.
Now, that confidence is evaporating.
Investors pummeled technology company stocks again on Tuesday, knocking the Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index down 1.7 percent. The Nasdaq composite, laden with technology stocks, sank 2.9 percent after a flurry of bad news about specific companies metastasized into a broad retreat from technology stocks.
The sell-off was ignited when the chip maker Nvidia said it was suspending tests of its self-driving car technology after an autonomous Uber vehicle struck and killed a pedestrian in Tempe, Ariz., last week. Nvidia has made supplying chips to self-driving vehicles a major part of its growth strategy, and Uber had selected Nv..

Built to Flood: Houston Speculators Make a Fast Buck From Storm’s Misery

Houston Speculators Make a Fast Buck From Storm’s Misery

HOUSTON — The yard signs appeared almost immediately. Canyon Gate was still in ruins, its streets strewn with moldy furniture, the stench of rot everywhere. But somehow, someone had managed to plant dozens, maybe hundreds of them across the tiny Houston suburb. One proclaimed “Dump Your Home!” Another, stuck into the dirt, read “Flood Damage? We Can Help.”
Bernadette Leaney, 67, one of the thousands of Houston residents whose homes were swamped in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, hated them. She and her neighbors were just beginning their grim reckoning with the damage. Who could be looking to make a buck this soon? She tried to ignore the come-ons. “But then I realized I just couldn’t stand looking at them anymore,” she said. “They were adding to our despondency.”
She tore down every sign she came across — 114 by her count — until another resident told her it was one of their own neighbors who had posted many of them. His nam..

Carolina Panthers Headed Toward Record Sale Price

Supported by Sports Carolina Panthers Headed Toward Record Sale Price Photo Panthers owner Jerry Richardson announced in December he would sell the team after complaints of sexual harassment surfaced.
Credit Streeter Lecka/Getty Images ORLANDO, Fla. — Four months after the Carolina Panthers went on the auction block, owner Jerry Richardson is on track to collect a record sale price for the team he founded in 1993.
However, while the Panthers will fetch far more than the Buffalo Bills, which Terry Pegula bought for a then-record $1.4 billion in 2014, previous reports that the team could sell for $3 billion or more now appear overly optimistic. Sports bankers and people involved in the process expect the Panthers to sell for around $2.5 billion.
That would still serve as a sign that N.F.L. teams remain extremely valuable, with leaguewide revenues reaching more than $14 billion. Earlier this year, Fox agreed to pay a record $600 million to broadcast Thursday night games. The day afte..

Motion Picture Academy Finds No Merit to Accusations Against Its President

Supported by Media Motion Picture Academy Finds No Merit to Accusations Against Its President Photo John Bailey, the president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The inquiry focused on a claim that Mr. Bailey had attempted to touch a woman inappropriately about a decade ago. Credit David McNew/Reuters LOS ANGELES — The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences concluded on Tuesday that an allegation of sexual harassment against its president had no merit, in the first test of new guidelines that the powerful Hollywood industry group enacted after a wave of accusations of inappropriate behavior rocked the entertainment industry.
In a statement released after its regularly scheduled board meeting, the academy said that an internal investigation into allegations levied against John Bailey, who was elected as president of the group in August, had determined that “no further action was merited.”
Mr. Bailey, a cinematographer with credits ranging from “Ordinary People..