Governors of the three states under emergency rule in the Northeast opposed yesterday the attempt to extend the controversial measure.
The second strand of the emergency rule is expected to end on April 19.
The Presidency is weighing its options on the “sensitive” matter.
Besides rejecting the extension of emergency rule, the governors are also asking the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to learn from last week’s general elections in Afghanistan and conduct polls in their states next year.
The Boko Haram insurgency, has led to thousands of deaths and great hardship in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe.
To the governors, shelving elections in the three states would amount to succumbing to or conceding victory to the deadly sect.
They asked INEC to work with the Federal Government to provide adequate security for a free and fair poll in the affected states.
The governors – Murtala Nyako (Adamawa), Ibrahim Gaidam (Yobe) and Kashim Shettima (Borno) – gave the advice in a joint statement.
The statement was released through their spokesmen, including Ahmad Sajoh for Nyako, Abdullahi Bego for Gaidam and Isa Gusau for Shettima.
The governors said: “On the issue of extension of State of Emergency, it is our considered view that there is absolutely no reason to even contemplate an extension of the State of Emergency in any of the three states.
“It must be noted that a counter insurgency strategy that lasted one year without achieving the desired result requires a redefinition rather than extension.
“The Federal Government should always remember that it has the obligation of protecting the lives and property of all Nigerians in all parts of the country without necessarily putting them under any special condition.
“It has the option of putting a security structure in place that can continue and intensify ongoing counter insurgency operations without an extension of emergency rule.”
They said there had been insurgency in Niger Delta with Joint Military Task Force (JTF) deployed in the region without a state of emergency in place.
They added: “After all, we had the Joint Military Task Force (JTF) in place in some of States with full military activities prior to the declaration of emergency.
“We have for many years, also have in place similar JTF in the Niger Delta to combat militancy and kidnapping, we have had same in the southeast to fight armed robbery, we have a Special Task Force in Plateau State combating the crisis in parts of the State without necessarily putting them under emergency rule.
“Besides, the Nigerian Army has in 2013 created new divisions and brigades in Borno State as permanent military establishments.”
They expressed confidence that if the military sustained its present level of engagement against Boko Haram, the insurgency will be overcome.
The statement said: “We hold that with continued motivation, continued and intensified deployment of military resources, the crisis will be overcome.”
The governors, however, pledged to assist security agencies to restore lasting peace to the three states.
They said: “We call on citizens in our respective states and other Nigerians to continue to intensify prayers for the return of peace.
“We call on our security agencies to remain resolute and patriotic. We salute the sacrifices of fallen heroes among them and among our civilians who died in the crisis.
“We are all very committed and determined to continue to work with security agencies and all other stakeholders in our committed search for lasting peace in our three states.”
The governors warned INEC against hiding under the guise of insurgency to shelve elections in 2015.
They said the commission should take a cue from Afghanistan which conducted a successful poll in spite of threats from the Taliban.
They said: “Afghanistan and its good people were celebrated worldwide for liberating themselves from the scourge of fear and thereby sending a strong signal that no amount of threat would deny them from choosing their leaders through democratic processes. This is the kind of courage expected of genuine patriots.
“Our Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, should please learn from the landmark election that took place in Afghanistan at the weekend during which election officials took the bold step of going on to conduct election in spite of threats by the Taliban to send the country into extinction if the elections were held.
“The Central Government in Afghanistan provided adequate security for the conduct of the poles. It was also reported that there was a 53 percent voter turn-out during the elections and it went on peacefully in most places.
“We all know that the unfortunate insurgency affecting this country has a similar attribute to the Taliban doctrine in Afghanistan even though ours is now assuming a very complicated character.
“The INEC should, as a matter of counter insurgency approach, ensure that no part of Nigeria is excluded from the 2015 elections on account threats.
“Suspending elections on account of threats by insurgents and other sundry social miscreants would amount to succumbing to their doctrine and conceding victory on the part of Nigeria.”
The governors said if INEC opted to shelve or postpone the 2015 poll in the three states, the Boko Haram insurgents will be emboldened to infiltrate other 33 states to scuttle the next general elections.
The statement said: “Should INEC go ahead with its initially considered exclusion of Adamawa, Yobe and Borno States from the 2015 elections, all criminal gangs need to do, is to extend the attacks to other parts of Nigeria and have more places excluded from future elections. “This will then imply that crime and criminality will be victorious in suspending constitutional democracy in Nigeria.”