President of Christian Welfare Initiative (CWI), who doubles as the chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), South-west Zone, Archbishop Magnus Atilade, had recently urged Christians to join in the 31-day fasting and prayers programme for the persecuted Church in Nigeria which started on January 14, noting that denominations/ministries which had begun fasting and prayers programme in this season should add the prayers for the persecuted Church to their prayer schedules in addition to praying against any Islamic agenda.Atilade maintained that Christians should use the period to draw attention of the entire country, as well as other nations of the world, to the growing security threats to Christians in the Federal Republic of Nigeria.“We affirm that Nigeria is a secular society in which all the citizens have free right to live, work, and express their faith according to their individual convictions. If the secularity of Nigeria has in any way been reviewed or modified, we are not aware,” he stated, adding that the Nigerian Constitution guarantees freedom of speech, freedom of movement, and the right to worship God according to individual conviction,” Atilade stated.“We are however disturbed, and very alarmed, at the rate and consistency with which Christians are being slaughtered in northern Nigeria, in a manner similar to the genocide in Rwanda. The brutality, cruelty and inhuman manner in which Nigerian Christians are being systematically and consistently slaughtered by individuals claiming to be adherents of the Islamic faith has reached an alarming proportion that we are compelled to speak out. THIS IS INHUMAN!“In the northern parts of the country, these individuals and groups of individuals have been operating for years with impunity and without regard for law and order, or respect for the right of other Nigerians to live and express their faith in God according to their choice.”According to Atilade, the Fulani herdsmen are fast becoming notorious as a harbinger of destruction wherever they lead their cattle to, in the Middle Belt, South-west and in the South-east. He also outlined several instances since March 2010 when the militant Islamic sect, Boko Haram, had caused mayhem all over the North killing Christians and destroying properties.“It is quite amazing that these Fulani herdsmen are yet to be convicted of mass murder. It is equally disheartening that even moderate Muslims that do not seem to support these agents of death and destruction are also targeted and killed by members of the Boko Haram terrorist group. It is very unfortunate that innocent students are also massacred by these terrorists,” the CAN leader stated.“While attacks have been reported against moderate Muslims that do not support these insurgents, it is clear to the whole world that the main target of these terrorist attacks by both Boko Haram and the Fulani herdsmen are Christians in Nigeria.“While some mischievous
Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State on Saturday said three presidents had at different occasions attempted to lure him to join the ruling Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, but that he declined their overtures.He, however, mentioned only two of them – Olusegun Obasanjo and the late Umaru Yar’Adua.President Goodluck Jonathan is the third president under the…
The Islamic sect, Boko Haram has lost the strategic Banki town and its bridge in Borno State to Nigerian troops at what sources described as a great cost to its members. No fewer than 50 insurgents were killed in a 72 hour battle with soldiers deployed to seize the border town between Nigeria and Cameroun. Two soldiers were killed and four others wounded in the operation. Sources said Boko Haram had been using the link bridge to invade Borno State from Cameroun at will.
Abia State governor, Theodore Orji, has described General Azubike Ihejirika, as a great soldier who represented Abia State to his best, stressing that his removal as the Chief of Army Staff was a normal thing in the military formation and that it is part of the re-engineering in the military by President Goodluck Jonathan. “General Ihejirika was appointed by Mr President and the same man that appointed him has the right to also remove him, therefore it is a normal process that will help to strengthen the military,” Orji said. The governor added, “He was not removed for incompetence as he was a fine officer and a gentle man who performed his duties
The Peoples Club of Nigeria yesterday said it has concluded plans to hire a Professor of Medicine to be at its headquarters in Onitsha to attend to people at no cost within six months. The medical doctor will be rendering free health services to the indigent persons in the society from 8 am to 4 pm everyday. It also said it has concluded plans to build a world-class Dialysis Centre in the commercial city of Onitsha for the purposes of taking care of the health needs of the people, especially the less-privileged.
The former senator who represented Kaduna Central senatorial district at the National Assembly and chieftain of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP),in Kaduna state, Senator Mohammed Mukhtar Aruwa has declared that he would have staged a coup ahead of 2015 elections tension if still in the military. Speaking with journalists in his farm along Abuja- Express Way, Senator Aruwa while maintaining that civilian leaders have failed Nigeria accused the All Progressive Congress (APC) of inviting chaos in the country through its decampment drive. Senator Aruwa, a onetime governorship candidate under All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) in 2007, Kaduna state boasted that gang up against PDP will fail just like what happened in 2011 elections. His words: “Now if we are talking about governors defecting, members of the house or House of Representatives. They are not doing this for neither Tukur nor PDP, but they are inviting chaos in the nation and it will affect every one of us, because only a country where there is no rule or law that you
The All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, has appointed Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State as its national leader and Chairman, Board of Trustees.
The Supreme Court on Friday in Abuja dismissed an appeal filed by Mohammed Abacha, son of late former Head of State, General Sani Abacha, against his prosecution for corruption.The apex court in a unanimous judgment led by Justice Olukayode Ariwoola, therefore, ordered Abacha to return to an Abuja High Court and face criminal charges bordering…
The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Sanusi Lamido Sanusi has insisted that the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) had no right retaining $10.8 billion oil revenue, saying it contributed to the drop in savings “that left the nation exposed to possible price shocks.”Sanusi who spoke in an interview with Bloomberg in Abuja, Friday, said: “Given where the oil price is, we should have more in terms of reserves and savings, and because we don’t have that we are susceptible to shocks in the event of a decline in the oil price.”The central bank governor had written a letter to President Goodluck Jonathan alleging the NNPC withheld $49.8 billion in revenue, sparking a public outcry.Thereafter, a reconciliatory meeting that involved the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, the CBN Governor amongst others, had shown that unaccounted oil receipts stood at $10.8 billion.Sanusi, however, maintained: “No one has the right to retain money that should have gone to the federation account; so the fact that you’ve admitted retaining or withholding $10 billion is itself bad enough. This money was supposed to come in and if it came in, it would be part of our reserves and part of our excess crude savings.”A report by Thisday which says the external reserves derived mainly from the proceeds of crude oil production and sales, had depreciated by $1.778 billion in the fourth quarter of 2013, lays credence to Sanusi’s claims. The development was largely blamed on the dwindling federal government revenue. Also, the Excess Crude Account (ECA) had dropped to only $3.18 billion. Nigeria’s forex reserves stood at $43.257 billion as at January 16th.NNPC’s Group Executive Director of Finance and Accounts, Bernard Otti had explained that the $10.8 billion was spent on pipeline repairs, fuel subsidies and strategic reserve.“This whole process for me is one in which we need to force greater transparency over oil revenues. The NNPC has now given explanations and they’re going to be called to show evidence,” Sanusi declared.The lack of accounting in oil revenues has increased pressure on President Goodluck Jonathan.Recent reports have said Jonathan told Sanusi to resign because he allegedly leaked his letter about the NNPC unremitted revenue to Obasanjo.But Sanusi had said his letter to the president was never meant to be made public.“What was in fact an invitation to investigate somehow became read as the end of an investigation, the conclusion from an investigation and that wasn’t it. This was an initial report given. That, for me, raises sufficient concern to ask the president to have an investigation so we can know exactly where the money is,” he explained.Furthermore, he noted: “Lower savings are not explained by a huge increase in government spending, because there wasn’t between 2013 and 2012. So, if spending didn’t increase much and if the oil price didn’t crash much and exports didn’t crash much, there’s a leakage. A decline in oil production doesn’t explain the draw down in savings either because the crude price has exceeded the government’s budgeted price.